The New Professionals SIG would be a landing point for individuals that are new to the field of Knowledge Transfer (KT) and Technology Transfer (TT) or that are already in technology transfer but transitioning into a new position or looking for ways to further their professional development. It would be a place to network, expand one’s understanding about the different areas within KT and learn new or develop on existing skills relevant to this profession. We want to provide a supportive, interactive, and educational environment for this group.
Who is it for and who should join?
The New Professionals SIG is open for individuals who are:
- Looking to transfer into KT
- New to the field of KT
- Already in KT but are transitioning into a new role
- Wishing to build on and diversify their experience within the field
- Wishing to network with other KT professionals
- Wishing to share their experience within the field
- Team leaders who want to provide professional development opportunities for their staff.
Why join and what are the benefits of joining this SIG?
- KT is a broad area encompassing a diverse set of roles. The SIG will help new professionals in navigating the complex KT landscape by providing information such as:
- What are the different roles within KT?
- What prior experience would be required to transition into your role of interest?
- How to land your dream role within KT?
- Career planning within KT?
- What is RTTP and the support required to achieve it?
- The development resources that are available.
- The SIG will provide a unique networking opportunity for individuals at various stages in their KT career to come together and support one another in entering into or progressing within the field.
- The SIG will constantly provide new insights for professional development opportunities in the KT field on every level.
- The SIG will help team leaders choosing the right programmes and routes for their staff.
What kind of activities could be generated with/for the SIG?
- Connect new professionals: Understand the KT landscape across Europe
- Bi-monthly meetings: Professionals that have several years of experience discussing their career path
- Some ideas for format: panel discussions, forum for casual chat, interview style – fire-side chat, case-study based workshops, mock negotiations – role play.
- Some ideas for sessions:
- Patents and Patent law – Europe vs US
- First time Negotiating a Licence – what to prepare and what to be aware of
- 'New to KT? - where do I go from here?'
- Candidate RTTP (cRTTP) preparation
- 'Awarded Candidate RTTP - What Next?'
- Type of roles in TT/KT
- How to assess a technology and considerations
- Talk about start-ups
- What is the purpose of TT/KT: commercialisation and impact
- Listen to company’s prospective when working with KTOs
- Collaborations with AUTM – building bridges between professional societies
- The world of Licensing and the CLP accreditation
- Two newsletters in a year (March and October), discussing activities/events organised by the SIG, celebrate achievements such as successful cRTTP application, new job roles, etc.
- Identify via a survey what people want to learn about and organise 2 (F2F) workshops each year (one such workshop during the ASTP annual conference)
- A networking / breakfast event during the ASTP conference
- Facilitate the sharing of opportunities for new professionals in the KT/TT field such as volunteering roles, shadowing opportunities, internships, staff exchange, etc.
- Experienced members could help new professionals with CV reviews
- Outreach event for new professionals who aren't ASTP members yet but could benefit from the membership
How often will the SIG members meet?
- The co-ordinators will meet once a month to discuss and plan meetings/events involving all members of the SIG.
- All members of the SIG will meet during bi-monthly meetings.