The Technology Transfer Office (TTO) of the University of Vienna is looking for a Technology Transfer Manager in the field of physics and related fields (including computer sciences).
About the University
The University of Vienna, founded in 1365, is the oldest university in the German-speaking world and one of the largest in Central Europe. The University of Vienna is the largest teaching and research institution in Austria with more than 90,000 students and more than 9,800 employees, including 6,700 scientists and academics. The scientists are engaged in both knowledge-oriented basic research and problem-solving-oriented applied research. One of the University of Vienna's main goals is to become one of the leading research universities in Europe; therefore, it wants to support its researchers and create the best possible conditions for research and innovation. The Technology Transfer Office is a department of the DLE Research Service and Career Development, which is responsible for the professional supervision and support of the scientific staff. Its main tasks include supporting researchers in obtaining external funding and implementing large funding projects, the valorization of intellectual property including negotiating collaborations with industry partners and the support of Spin-Offs.
- Diverse and interesting challenges within one of the largest universities in Europe.
- An open, friendly, flexible and international working environment.
- A salary commensurate with your skills and experience (according to the collective agreement)
- Opportunity to broaden and deepen your knowledge in the field of technology transfer within the University of Vienna, including external training courses and conferences
- Possibility of home office
The position is vacant for the period of absence of a member of staff, with the option to extend the contract.
To expand the team, we are looking for a Technology Transfer Manager to support the team in the field of sciences/ physics and related fields (including computer sciences) in a number of tasks, including:
- Evaluation of new technologies, especially in the field of physics including related scientific fields (computer sciences and others).
- Monitoring and coordination of activities related to patent attorneys* and patent offices, including filing and prosecution
- Contract negotiations with companies on collaboration, technology transfer agreements and licenses, monitoring and managing the execution of these contracts (fees, royalties, redistributions)
- Communication with funding agencies (e.g. EU, FFG, AWS)
- Collaboration with researchers to promote the valorization of new university technologies in all areas of physics and related fields
- Training and consulting of researchers and entrepreneurs of start-up projects in the management, protection and further development of the intellectual property of the University of Vienna
- Identifying commercial strategies for the transfer of technologies to industry, including commercialization through translational funding or through spin-out ventures
- Contribute to the strategic management of the intellectual property portfolio of the University of Vienna
- MSc or PhD degree in physics, engineering sciences, computer sciences or mathematics, an additional qualification in IP law is advantageous.
- Business skills are an advantage
- Team player; customer focused with good interpersonal skills
- Excellent time management with the ability to meet demanding deadlines
- Language skills in German and English (oral and written) required
- Strong interest in becoming professionally established in the field of technology transfer and continuously developing related expertise
- Experience in the field of technology transfer in academia or in a related role in industry is strongly desired
- Interest in promoting scientific research, contact with companies, commercial aspects related to technology transfer and intellectual property
- Contract: The position is vacant for the period of absence of a member of staff, with the option to extend the contract.
- Extent of Employment: 40 hours/week (lunch break of half an hour included, great flexibility due to flexible working hours, also the possibility of home office for up to 10 days per month).
- Job grading in accordance with collective bargaining agreement: §54 VwGr. IVa Gross monthly salary min: EUR 2,991 (14x annually, in addition we offer an attractive personnel development program and comprehensive social benefits). In addition, relevant professional experience may determine the assignment to a particular salary grade and thus the remuneration, overpayment possible.
- Reference number: 13868
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than 18.4.2023, mentioning reference number 13868.
For further information please contact Tobias Reckling.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Human Resources and Gender Equality of the University of Vienna
Reference number: 13868